by guest author kim timothy
“Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune”.
I came across this quote one day and it stopped me in my tracks. It was one of those “light bulb” moments that resonated to my core. While I completely understood and loved the actual meaning of this phrase, for me it dug a little deeper…
I did all the right “things”. I worked hard in high school and finished with decent grades. I had a passion and with it came an urgent need to pursue a career. So with text books in hand I followed my dreams and committed myself for four long years. The reward was a pristine white piece of paper encased in a plastic folder that announced to the world my new (and very official) calling in life. I was a post secondary graduate with a ton of knowledge in Visual Communications.
Its been 15 years since that moment in time and looking back over my career, I do agree that having this specialized secondary education did open a door or two in my profession. But it is everything I’ve learned since that has brought me the most success and the greatest rewards.
When I saw the quote I was inspired to stop and acknowledge the “wealth” I had gained while on my entrepreneurial path. I began to write the ideas down in a list and quickly saw how rich in life I had become through the things I had learned along the way…
10 Lessons Learned through Self-Education.
- There are no mistakes, only lessons waiting to be learned.
- What you do today should be significant because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.
- Acknowledge and accept the success you have achieved.
- Do what you love and love what you do.
- Don’t be afraid to be yourself. You are unique; this is your special offering. Define your unique self. Believe in you, promote you and stand by you.
- Surround yourself with positive people who will embrace your successes and push you further toward greatness. Groupies give you wings! LOL.
- Never stop learning. There is no end to growth – your business will rely on newfound knowledge.
- Time matters. A year from now you wish you had started today.
- It’s OK to find a mentor. No one can know it all so why keep reinventing the wheel? Relying on those who have travelled similar paths will only help you to grow more efficiently.
- Creating opportunities works so much better than waiting for opportunities.
I invite you to explore your own path and create a list that defines your self-taught wealth.
What are the lessons that resonate with your own experiences? Pop a comment down below, we would love to hear from you!
Boutique by Design offers a full range of graphic design services for web and print with a heavy emphasis on branding. It is our commitment to understand and capture the essence of your business, your product or service, and your vision. And we will deliver graphics you will be thrilled to call your own. After all you have worked hard to develop your product, why not flaunt it with style! We are passionate about design and we think it shows.