yep, facebook is changing again. (just when you thought you had it figured out, right?)
and you know what that means: facebook is gonna be glitchy folks! so when it is not working, walk away, have a cold beer and maybe go pin something pretty.
this is the best post i have seen so far on all of the changes and what you can do with your page to make it rock: read all about the new timelines for pages here.
or if video tutorials that walk you through the changes step-by-step are what floats your boat – here is facebook’s walkthrough.
here are the highlights...
- awesome, big! cover image (850x315 pixels). what a fab way to share your brand message, show your fans they are in the right place to have their needs met, describe the benfits of what you offer, be clear about your point of differenc... make a statement!
but careful before you make yours. covers may not include:
i. price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it on socialmusic.com";
ii. contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information that should go in your Page's "About" section;
iii. references to Facebook features or actions, such as "Like" or "Share" or an arrow pointing from the cover photo to any of these features; or
iv. calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends." (terms)
- the profile photo is a good spot for your logo or something brand related, make sure it looks good & is recognizable as your thumbnail when you post on facebook as your page. (profile photo size is 180x180 and becomes 32x32 as your thumbnail)
- the page itself is wider and the photos that you post are nice and big, so images really stand out – find a way to include images in your posts!
- you can no longer set a landing tab – everyone lands on your timeline
- you can have up to 12 tabs/apps with 4 showing at the top (the rest are in a drop down menu)
- 'photos' is the first tab and then you can choose the other 3 tabs you want to appear at the top
- you can edit the image and the name of the tabs, so make them inviting to click! (tab images are 111x74 px)
- “pin” important posts to show at the top of your page for 7 days - what an awesome way to feature promotions, special content, fan contribuitons and more!
- “star” important posts to make them the full width - this will really make something stand out on your page, especially if you have an image/video with it
- “milestone” posts show the history of your biz – this could be a fun way to show off your brand eg when you started, when you introduced a popular item, when you hit a big like number, when you got some media attention… the images for these posts can be nice and big! (843x403px)
- you can still hide and delete posts (to find your hidden posts go to Admin Panel > Manage > Use Activity Log > All > Spam)
- the 'about' section of your info is now more prominent - use it it list your website and anly other important links (they are clickable!), a call to action, or any other info you want to highlight
- there is a new admin panel at the top (which you can hide or open) to help you see notifications, messages, insights, etc.
- fans can send you private messages (or continue to post publically on your page) – you will see messages in the admin section and you can disable this if you don’t like it.
- you can change the name of your page! to fill out the form: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact_us.php?id=262629790471076
all pages will be switched over on march 30th – so enable the ‘preview’ of yours now so you can start getting used to it. hit publish when you are ready for the world to see your awesome new pages!
and yes, i know this change will piss some people off. but remember – facebook is a free service. we don’t have any say in any of this, we don’t own our little pages we are just borrowing the space. if it really bugs you, find a new playground to play in!
otherwise, look for the ways in which you can use the changes to your advantage! see this as an opportunity to try new things with your page, and connect with your fans in exciting new ways.
need help figuring out how to do that, exactly? i put together a guide to facebook for biz that is full of helpfull tips, useful information, and excellent ideas. 40 pages for just $19. don't just 'be on facebook', be AWESOME on facebook. click here to see what's in the guide.